Kansas City, Missouri – Dialectic Engineering was named one of Kansas City Business Journal’s “Best Places to Work.” The annual workplace survey measures employee engagement,…
Commissioning isn’t a redundant inspection process. It complements the quality efforts of both the design and construction teams, enhancing oversight and assisting in final project turnover. All teams involved in the construction process have a common goal: to provide a completed project that functions as intended.
The leader of the commissioning team is the commissioning agent. This person helps to helps to develop and manage the process that functionally tests the building systems, validates design intent, verifies that client requirements are met and provides commissioning documentation. Design professionals, construction teams, property management associates and owners/developers can all be included in a commissioning team.
Dialectic recommends an enhanced commissioning process that begins before the typical construction document production. Our practice also weighs the Owner Project Requirements against the developed Basis of Design from the design team. The commissioning process continues through design and construction and into the early occupancy stages. Systems training for end users and a systems manual can be included as part of the process.
Prior to construction, the commissioning team will:
- Review the building owners’ project requirements
- Develop the commissioning plan
- Perform a commissioning design review
- Develop pre-functional checks and functional performance tests
During construction, the team will perform pre-functional checks.
Prior to handoff, they will:
- Perform functional performance testing
- Finalize the commissioning report
- Verify training of building user’s staff
- Follow-up with site visits as necessary to validate correction of deficiencies and/or perform additional testing
Commissioning was once considered a voluntary activity reserved for complicated projects. However, recent energy conservation codes have evolved to require commissioning in many jurisdictions. Dialectic has many years of commissioning building systems and has been the commissioning partner for clients on hundreds of projects.
- Engagement begins in the conceptual stages of design
- Review of existing facilities and original design to ensure peak efficiencies for all systems, as it relates to current building use
- Monitoring and tracking systems previously commissioned to ensure systems continue to perform properly and to add any performance improvements found through experience with the facility
By now it’s been well-documented that COVID-19 spreads mainly through droplets discharged when an infected person coughs or sneezes, and potentially via free-floating aerosolized particles…
In mid-March, everything changed for Veronica Osorio-Cortes: No more in-person projects with her architectural engineering classmates at Kansas State University, no more fun nights out…